tiny holiday banner tutorial

We're thrilled about today's guest post from our friend Jennifer! She gets crafty with oilcloth, paper, punches, and glitter to transform her kitchen shelf into festive holiday decor. I can't decide which I want more--the tiny banners or the cute bowls she has on her shelf! Enjoy!




Tiny Holiday Banners & Bunting Tutorial


As my family was growing up, I was always quoting to my kids a saying that I learned at church. “Use it up, wear it out, make it do or go without”. I hate going without, so this year I am making do –and its turning into a lot of fun. I was cleaning up my house trying to get it ready for Christmas decorating when I cam across some oilcloth tablecloths leftover from one of my daughter’s weddings. It gave me a great idea.





I measured the oilcloth to fit a shelf that I had in my kitchen and then used a ¾” circle to draw scallops on the oilcloth. After a lot of cutting, I had shelf liners for all five shelves.



They looked pretty cute by themselves, but I decided to decorate them with mini-banners to add a more festive touch. I made two mini banners. The first one was so simple. You just need two things, paper and string. I cut a long diamond shape from red dot paper, folded it in half and glued it to baker’s twine. Ta da! The first banner took me less than an hour, and that includes cutting.









The second banner was made from punches, patterned paper, glitter glue and a digital collage sheet that I bought last year. I punched hearts from red dot paper, circles from green dot paper, and scallops from red paper. I glittered my Santa’s and punched them out with a circle punch. I didn’t want the banner to have a wrong side, so I sandwiched the hearts and circles wrong sides together so that the pattern shows on both sides. I sewed the circles, hearts and scalloped circles all together. Then I glued the glittered Santa’s onto the scalloped circles over the sewing.











I think it’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas.








No comments: